Tuesday, September 22, 2015

How to clear off blocked parcels from the Malaysian Customs

Hi guys,

So yesterday, I received a call in the morning from Pos Malaysia saying that my parcel from Japan had been detained. I had to go all the way to KLIA Pos Malaysia Hub in order to claim back my parcel.

Remember to bring along your IC, reference number of the detained parcel or the official letter from Pos Malaysia as well as the parcel's sales invoice/receipt (if you have one. I didn't bring any since its a gift from my friend)

Here's what you need to do.


  1. Register at the guard house and get your visitor pass
  2. Once you enter the building from the gates, turn right and enter "Pintu 2"
  3. Proceed to Counter 2 and provide the Poslaju letter/ Reference number in order to get your parcel's official letters.
  4. Go to the next counter and provide the letters to the person in charge. You will claim your parcel there and leave your visitor pass with them.
  5. Proceed to Kastam counter and open the parcel. You will be asked several questions like what are the items inside etc. 
  6. If your items are cosmetics like mine, they would have to take some samples in order to test at their pharmacy. 
  7. Since mine are pharmaceutical items, I had to go back to Counter 2 and wait for them to process my declaration and request for testing of product.
  8. Luckily for me, my items are considered less in quantity and not for retail sales. I am not required to have the items being tested. Proceed back to Kastam counter to claim your parcel.
  9. Make payment of the total tax and processing fee. I paid about RM58 in total including GST. After that you have to go claim back your visitor pass.
  10. Before you leave, go back to the guard house to return visitor pass. They have to conduct checking again to make sure everything is done.

This whole thing was a new experience for me. At first I was worried that the Customs officer would be strict and may make the process a lot tougher but I was wrong. 
The Customs personnel are all very helpful and kind! The lady at Counter 2 even offer to help this China national women to declare her items since she isn't able to speak/write Malay.

If you think that it is troublesome to travel all the way to KLIA just to claim your stuff, you may also appoint Pos Malaysia to be your agent and settle everything for you with a fee of RM 49.50
You need to provide sales invoice to Pos Malaysia. Customs will then calculate the total you have to pay to them. 

I chose to go there myself since I do not have any sales invoice. I thought that if I settle it myself, I might at least be able to negotiate as well as understand what charges incurred. Plus, I get to save back the agent fee lol. 
If I were to appoint Pos Malaysia to be my agent, the total I had to pay is 
RM 49.50 + RM 58 = RM 107.50
or perhaps more since they may just increase the value of my parcel when there isn't any sales invoice.


The whole process took me about 30-45 minutes. There wasn't much crowd.
Hope this post is able to help you! 




2 comments:

  1. Getting parcels on time is all because of effective delivery partners. Collected all daily goods from the super store and packed them in the box to send them to my daughter in the hostel. Hiring the perfect Courier services Ft Worth was suggested by my colleague. Downloaded the app and sending the parcel was quite easier then.

    ReplyDelete